UNCOMMON GROUND: Cohabitation

Mr. Marcus and I have been married almost six months now, and we have recently come to the realization that we didn't know as much about each other as we thought. Its just the little things that you could never know about a person until you live with them. I'm sure you all can remember the Xbox situation ( i.e., I didn't know he could play those mind-numbing video games for 33,832 hours straight). But there are other things, like he often times fails to remembers to put a trash bag in the trash can after he takes out the trash. And I can bet my life that there are some things that are new to him. Of course, no one can ever know eeeeevrything about someone; but the fact that we didn't live together before we got married, really shines a light on those little things that we're just now discovering. So now I ask myself, "Would things be different if we lived together before we got married?"

We've all heard at some point in our lives that cohabitating before marriage, or shacking, as some call it, is a sin. And if you haven't heard that its wrong, you've at least heard someone refer to a shacking couple in a condecending tone. Simply put, its no secret that its looked down upon by a majority of the adult society. I never had the conversation with my parents about it, but I had a good feeling that it wasn't something they'd be overjoyed to tell their friends about. All I knew was that I didn't want to stake my claim at it. I especially didn't want to have a knock-down, drag-out debate over it with my dad.

But, why do so many people make it out to be such a big deal? I've never seen Biblical scriptions that said anything about shacking or cohabitating.  Isn't it just two people that like/love each other, living together to test the waters...or to save on rent?



No comments :

Post a Comment