The Hunt for the Perfect Fabric


So, yesterday, I showed a little sneak peek of an upcoming (and back breaking) project.


Before I get on to telling you what this is for, I just had to share my inspiration behind the entire scheme.

I was on the hunt for a black and white, geometric patterned fabric with a graffiti aesthetic and came across this Domesticate fabric on Spoonflower.

Freestyle in black

I LOVE the graphic, freestyle pattern. I just think I was looking for something that had more of a balance between the black and the white. Not to mention that the price was a total deterrent. Honestly, $17.50/yd. isn't bad, but I could never see myself paying that price for fabric. It's just not in me.

After the sticker shock, I decided to look for some do-it-yourself inspiration. Leave it to two of my favorite bloggers to come through for me. Danika of Gorgeous Shiny Things doesn't have a dry paint brush in her house. This girl just doesn't rest! She transformed a fabulous set of drapes with the help of a little paint.


The geometric pattern was speaking to my soul!


Don't you just love it?


But, then, I began to think about how different my application was going to be from the drapes. What I loved most about Danika's geo print was the way it looked when the drapes were gathered. There'd be no gathering in my project.

Well, then, I came across another painted drapery project, this one was rock out by my blog-bestie, Shavonda, over at A Home Full of Color.


The circles were perfect!



I knew that with a little modification that this was exactly the look I was looking for!

I was gifted with a bolt of 8 yards of white cotton canvas fabric by my boss (who used to manage a fabric store!) and I immediately got to work.


I'm smiling in this photo, but painting 8 yards of fabric is not a stroll down the beach. Collectively, it took me about 12 hours to free-hand every single circle. My shoulder and neck still hate me for it.


But, once done, I was one happy camper.


And, now, to kill all the anticipation...


Yeah. This one's a doosie. If you don't hear from me for another week, you know where I'll be.

6 comments :

  1. OMG girl this is gonna be insanely good! I love it so much:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see more, fantastic idea and what a sweet gift from your boss! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So worth the work though! I can't wait to see more. And copy this :)

    xo Lily
    http://whilemyboyfriendsaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these decorating ideas. The designs are so vibrant and the view is so happy and cheerful.
    Stylish Apartment With A Minimalist Design

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are going to be soooo good! Loving it all! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're soooo talented!

    ReplyDelete