Saturday Styling: Plans for the Work Space


Today's Saturday Styling post is a bit different. I'm breaking down the plans for the upcoming work space in the living room. Well, right now they're plans, but honestly, this can all change by this afternoon. Lol!



From the beginning, I envisioned this area in our home housing a unique, probably vintage, dining table that would be the gathering spot for all of the special dinner parties that we would never have. It would be mid-century or Parsons style in either a white lacquer or burl wood, like these I found on Viyet, a vintage consignment site.

And this one on Etsy!


But, having lived in our home for 2 years, we now know that once the pool table goes away, we have to replace it with a work space that functions well for three different end users, who are all using it differently. Davin needs homework space. Hubs needs laptop space. I need laptop space, painting space, plant re-potting space, client project sample spreading space and everything else one can think of. So, when thinking about all the functions the space will have to accommodate, the vintage table of my dreams may not be the best option. We will definitely need a surface that can withstand all of the inevitable abuse. Something not so precious.

I turned my search to big box stores like IKEACB2 and Wayfair for some options that still look great, but could hold up well to scratches, paint drips and cups without coasters. Options that could work alone or even bunched together to make a larger surface are top of mind as well. Here's a few looks I've put together to start visualizing how it would all come together.


But like I said, this can all change before I go to bed tonight. We'll see! What do you guys think? What would you need if you were developing a work space? Let me know if in the comments!

15 comments :

  1. I would definitely want 3 separate laptop spaces that everyone was responsible for their own area. ie getting to work in some far off place with your sons permission slip would just plain....be bad! I'm thinking early morning flight and if everyone was on the same work surface it would be easy to scoop up someone else's stuff. I have found that a glass top on a table is an amazing work surface for projects ie spilled paint cleans up like a dream as well as if you were using embossing powder it cleans and this is a reasonably priced solution! I would make a list of any possible project activity and find the solutions. Does anyone have to do conference calls? if so a desk that faces so your back is against a wall might be a good placement. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love incorporating vintage styles into a modern room. It gives the room some character and is really eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these pieces! A great vintage table with character can absolutely tie a room together, I love to get vintage pieces for my apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that first table, I would love to have that at my place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely my fav as well! But it's still so hard to choose!

      Delete
  5. These are some great vintage tables! Any place I feel could benefit from a nice vintage piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that! Vintage belongs everywhere!

      Delete
  6. In a work space, I guess I just need space for my laptop, and maybe some more room for papers or whatever. It's not very much, but I still just love having a wide open table space to work with. I love the ones from Viyet and that Etsy one is super cute too

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love vintage pieces! It really adds character to a room. My favorite is the white table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The white would feel so fresh! Love that for a workspace!

      Delete
  8. It's funny, nowadays vintage is the new modern (for good reason, it looks great!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. The vintage pieces look awesome! viyet seems to have a wide range of vintage choices, will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete