My Purple Tresses


It's been over 3 months since I took the purple plunge and I haven't regretted it for one single day. Well, maybe I did for about 3 weeks. LOL.
This post has been in my drafts for almost 3 months, but now is as good as any time to talk about my transformation to purple and the journey since then!




Let's start from the beginning. It all started with this: a huge set of natural coils in need of some love, attention and excitement! It had been over 6 years since I had seriously ventured down the path to a new color journey. I had had the front section of my hair lifted and colored a few years ago, but it wasn't my entire head of hair. I was ready for a change.


That change came by the hands of the amazing Adrienne Small, a master colorist here in Memphis. Adrienne is one of few people that I trust with my hair. Color is her gift so when it came time to select my stylist, she was the first and only one that came to mind!

The process was a long one. It took 2.5 hours to foil my hair for the lifting (bleaching) process and another 2 hours to apply the color...thanks to the shear amount of hair on my head!





I also decided to take a lot of weight out of my hair, so I had Adrienne chop off about 5 inches of length. It was the beginning of summer and I had refused to be suffocated by my own hair. The chop was just what I needed.


She finished it all with a light flat iron and curl. My straight hair lasted a good 3 days...which was fine, because I was most excited about seeing how my curls would look in their new color.


They were as perfect as ever!


The first couple weeks were incredibly annoying. The purple color bled on the collars of my jackets, my satin pillow case and with every shampooing. But after about 3 washes, I could finally touch my hair without having to wear gloves. If I had to do it all over again, I totally would. It's been beyond worth it!

No comments :

Post a Comment